Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Also, this way I don't have to do anything hard.

I'm not a fan of New Year's Resolutions. I get the appeal of a "new start" and deciding to do things differently in the new year, but the thing is, the big resolutions almost never take. People are always resolving to change their habits, but by the end of February everyone's back to doing the same old crap that they wanted to change, and they feel worse for having failed at achieving a goal. I mostly prefer to avoid that business.

So this year, I'm resolving only to make resolutions that add happiness and pleasure to my life. I will not resolve to do less or be less of anything: no weight loss goals, no cutting out foods I love out of a puritanical sense of what's good for me. If thinking about my resolution makes me feel bad about myself, I don't need it in my life.

I got to thinking: what could my life use more of?

I don't know when or how or why it happened, but at some point in the past decade, I stopped seeking out and listening to new music. I think this happens to most adults at some point; you get comfortable with the music you have and like and once you've established the parameters of your taste, you quit broadening your horizons. This is unacceptable to me.

So here's my resolution: I will listen to 1,000 new songs in 2012.

I need your help for this. Send me links to songs you love (pmscapades AT gmail DOT com), tell me about up-and-coming or obscure artists whose music moves you, make me a mix CD. I'll be keeping track of all the songs I've listened to, and I'll post a weekly roundup of the ten best songs I've heard that week.

This music doesn't have to be new in a temporal sense-- merely new to me. So if there's something you think is fantstic, please send it my way so I can give it a listen!

2 comments:

  1. Great idea Molly! Do you have Rdio or Spotify? Having a subscription to one of those is a great way to listen to new music without having to decide whether you want to buy a whole album.

    I don't know what you like or what you've listened to before, but here are some of my favorite albums from over the last several years:

    Arcade Fire: Funeral, The Suburbs
    Beach House: Teen Dream
    Ratatat: (Any album)
    The Shins: Chutes Too Narrow

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Please be patient, as it may take time for your comment to appear.